Dan is young teen with medium build. Like Ran, Dan has long scarlet hair that is tied in a dark bandanna and brown eyes.
Dan is a very laid-back person who enjoys playing video games and he thinks Ichika's entry into IS Academy is a paradise for him, being surrounded by all the girls there (in the light novel, Ichika mentioned that Dan wanted to switch with him). However, he seems oblivious as to what occurs at IS Academy.
He is also sharp when it comes to Ichika and the general effect he has on girls, saying that he is extremely dense when knowing about their feelings. He even sympathizes with Lingyin Huang for Ichika not knowing her feelings.
Not much is known of Dan's history except that he runs the Gotanda Eatery with Ran.
Dan is first seen playing video games with Ichika until Ran barges into the room telling him to get ready for lunch. Seeing that Ichika is in the room, she gets nervous and quickly adjusts her loose-fitting and revealing clothes. Dan complains that she should've knocked or she will be considerate as a shameless woman, to which Ran snaps back by asking why he didn't tell her of Ichika's visit.
In a shopping mall, Ichika runs into Dan and Ran shopping. When Dan tells him that the tons of bags he's holding were full of Ran's swimsuits and that she plans to show them off to Ichika, Ran kicks him away, surprising Ichika. She then tells him that next year, she'll join the IS Academy and become his underclassman. Ichika wishes her good luck and tells her to study for her exams. While Ran looks for Dan, Charlotte appears and pulls Ichika away to a swimsuit store and they get into the changing room. Dan arrives and asks Ran: "Where did Ichika go?"
A Sextet Yearning for Love
- Ran Gotanda - Ran is Dan's younger sister and they often get into squabbles. He knows of her feelings towards Ichika Orimura and often teases her about it, only to be scared off by her angry expression and her fist.
- Ichika Orimura - His close friend since middle school. They sometimes play video games when Ichika comes to visit him and Ran.
- Kazuma Mitarai - Another friend from middle school. He appears in Volume 5.
- Lingyin Huang - Supposedly a former classmate in middle school.
- Utsuho Nohotoke - Throughout Volume 7, it is hinted that he has a crush on her. There is a scene where he is seen muttering to himself that he went through a lot of "trouble" getting her address. In Volume 10, Dan is said to be in a relationship with Utsuho and he also started working to buy her a gift.
- The name Dan means "bullet" (弾).
- Dan's surname Gotanda means "five" (五) (go), "anti-, opposite" (反) (tan) and "field, rice paddy" (田) (ta/da).